window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-2 6 4 7 7 9 8-1');


Reporting Homeless Encampments or Vagrancy

Image of a Homeless word cloud

For concerns related to homelessness and encampments in your community, please call 408-975-1440 or email Housing Department staff will respond to inquiries within three business days to:

  1. acknowledge receipt of the concern, and
  2. collect any additional details needed.

An outreach team will then be deployed to assess the situation, offer services to homeless individuals in the area, and determine any next steps to resolve the reported concern.

If you are homeless and seeking help, please contact the Homeless Helpline at 408-510-7600 or The Helpline is operated by HomeFirst. 


Illegal encampment clean up operations will be coordinated by the agency of jurisdiction:

  • City of San Jose Homeless Helpline (homeless encampments along City creeks)
    (408) 975-1440
  • Santa Clara Valley Water District (creek areas) Water Shed hotline
    (408) 265-2600 x2378
  • Cal Trans (overpasses / underpasses / freeways) (408) 436-0930
  • Union Pacific Railroad Property (near rail road tracks)
    (888) 877-7267
  • Private Property (contact the owner)

For more information on how to report a concern for a homeless individual or homeless encampment in San Jose please check out the City web page entitled Ending Homelessness.

OUR MISSION: Create safe places to live, work, and learn through community partnerships. The Department maintains
a commitment to the following values: Integrity, Courage, Excellence, Service, Diversity, Innovation, and Respect.